Tuesday, November 25, 2008

9-pie Pie crust


My grandma is famous for her fantastic pie crust. Honestly, I've tried dozens of different recipes, but this one beats them all every time. Every major holiday my Grandma brings 6 or 7 pies of every imaginable flavor out to feed the pie-loving family of about 40 (including children, grandchildren, and a few great-grandchildren), rendering it extremely necessary to have a recipe that makes 9 pies.


However, if you, unlike my grandma, may not have such a pressing need for mass quantities of pie dough, you're in luck; this dough will keep well in the freezer for up to a year. I've actually found that it is much easier to handle after it has been frozen for a few days, so if you're planning on trying this recipe for any Thanksgiving pies, you should freeze it the day before you plan to use it.

9-pie Pie Crust
by Grandma K
Pictures by Caroline

5 lbs white flour
5 tsp salt
3 lbs shortening
5 tbsp white vinegar
1 3/4 cups water
4 eggs
  1. Mix the flour, salt and shortening together until it looks like putty.
  2. In a blender, mix the vinegar, water and eggs.
  3. Slowly add the water mixture to the flour putty and mix until smooth, being careful not to over mix.
  4. Divide the dough into 9 balls and place individually into air tight bags.
  5. Freeze for up to 1 year.
*To thaw, remove the dough from the freezer a few hours before use, or defrost in the
microwave on a very low heat setting.

-Kelly

3 comments:

Jessie said...

I haven't made 9 pies in my whole life. I think I will halve this recipe and start at a place more reasonable for me.

ixoj said...

Well, now you'll have enough crust to make as many pies as you could ever dream about...

Lauren Dyer said...

Pie crust is my nemesis. It never works out for me, but I'll have to try this one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...