Thursday, April 23, 2009

Chicken Marsala

In my cookbook next to this recipe I have written, "good and easy". Now, my husband often reminds me that my idea of an "easy" recipe, is different than other people's idea of an "easy" recipe. However, this recipe gives you a lot for a little bit of effort; it is a meal that looks fancy, tastes great, but doesn't require much cutting or any complicated directions.

Chicken Marsala
Recipe from Better Homes and Gardens
Pictures by Caroline
Serves 4

¼ cup all-purpose flour
½ tsp dried marjoram, crushed
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
¼ cup sliced green onions (2)
3 tbsp butter or margarine
½ cup chicken broth
½ cup dry Marsala or dry sherry (I use a cooking Marsala wine)

1. In a shallow bowl stir together flour, marjoram, 1/8 tsp salt, and 1/8 tsp black pepper (I don’t add any extra salt here; this recipe is plenty salty without the addition of extra salt). Place a chicken breast half between 2 pieces of plastic wrap. Using the flat side of a meat mallet, pound chicken lightly, to about ¼ inch thick. (I just cut one chicken breast into two thin halves, rather than pounding them flat.) Remove plastic wrap. Lightly coat each chicken piece on both sides with flour mixture; shake off excess.
2. In a 12-inch skillet cook mushrooms and green onions in 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium-high heat until tender; remove from skillet. In the same skillet cook chicken in remaining 2 tablespoons butter for 5 to 6 minutes, turning to brown evenly.
3. Remove skillet from heat. Return mushrooms and green onions to skillet. Carefully add broth and Marsala to skillet. Bring mixture to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Season sauce to taste with additional salt (again, I don’t add any extra salt) and pepper. Spoon mushroom mixture over chicken. Serve with pasta or mashed potatoes.
*Note: when I make this recipe for me and my hubby, I just use one chicken breast and slice it in half, as though I were cutting a fillet from the chicken breast.

3 comments:

The Three Musketeers and their Mommy said...

That looks so good! I am excited that you have this blog!
Libby

Brad said...

We eat a lot of chicken and this is one of the best recipes I have tasted.

Rachel said...

We just tried this tonight (with what we had on hand- grape juice and an oregano/basil mix) and it was SOOOOO good. It will be a staple now in our house.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...