Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Spicy Pork Chops with Citrus Salsa

When I came across this recipe I was intrigued. Pork with fruit isn't that odd, we often are served applesauce with pork, but this fruit salsa incorporated cilantro, onion, and even jalapeño. I had to try it and I was glad that I did, even though it had mixed reviews in my house. I really liked it, my father-in-law really liked it, my husband thought it was passable. In fact my father-in-law liked the "chili rub" so well he asked for the recipe, something that has never happened to me before. Personally, I thought the fruit salsa with the pork was a great combination of flavors and textures- sweet with the salty-spice, warm meat with the cool fruit. Give it a try and let me know what you think, I would be curious to hear what others think.

Oh, and what do you serve this with? I served this with a rice pilaf and a green salad.



Spicy Pork Chops with Citrus Salsa
Recipe adapted from The Best Life Diet by Bob Greene
Pictures by Caroline

Serves 4

1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp ground coriander
½ tsp salt
4 pork chops
11 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1 grapefruit, peeled and diced
½ cup chopped cranberries
½ cup chopped cilantro
¼ cup minced red onion
1 small jalapeño, minced (optional, I leave this out)

1. Put a dry skillet over medium heat, toast the cumin, chili powder, oregano, coriander, and salt, stirring constantly until aroma is released; about 45-60 seconds. Take off heat and let cool slightly.
2. Rub the spice mixture evenly over the pork chops. Wrap the chops in plastic wrap and refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
3. To make the salsa, combine the mandarin oranges, grapefruit, cranberries, cilantro, red onion, and jalapeno (if using) in a medium bowl. Toss the mixture, cover, and refrigerate until about 30 minutes before serving.
4. Grill the pork shops over medium-high heat, turning several times; about 20 minutes or until you achieve the desired doneness. If you don’t have a grill you can cook the pork in your oven.
5. Cut the pork chops into thick slices and serve with the fruit salsa.
-Caroline

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...