Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cheese Ball

As I was making these balls of goodness last night, my husband asked why we only eat cheese balls at Christmas time. I had no answer for him. All I know is that my mom only makes one once a year, and my husband's family eagerly awaits (and then fights over) the annual Walker cheese ball. I personally think we should have them year round...but being as you're eating straight cheese that never seems to fill you up (am I the only one who looks down to find half the cheese ball consumed and my hand and cracker about to dig back in?) it might be better to keep it as a once-a-year holiday treat.


This cheese ball calls for a varying amount of either gorgonzola or bleu cheese. If you're a fan of the unique flavor of these two cheeses, use the full 1/2 cup of gorgonzola or bleu. If not, stick with 1/4 cup, which will make the strong flavor more subtle.



Cheese Ball
Recipe by Kelly
Pictures by Kelly

1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
2 packages cream cheese, at room temperature
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 - 1/2 cup gorgonzola or bleu cheese
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup ground almonds
  1. In a large mixing bowl, combine onion, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, gogonzola, and worchestershire sauce. Beat until well combined, scraping sides and bottom of bowl frequently.
  2. Spread almonds evenly over large plate. Take half of cheese mixture and shape into a ball. Roll around almonds until completely covered. Chill until ready to serve.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...