Monday, March 15, 2010

Asparagus with Parmesan Butter

Asparagus is a nutrient dense vegetable, and is coming into season as we sit here. I purchased a large amount a few days ago and have been enjoying it lightly steamed hot and cold. But what I found out, is that my husband is not a big asparagus fan. He prefers to have it smothered in a hollandaise sauce or other concoction atop of the green spears. So, tonight I tried this flavored butter over the asparagus. It is quite garlicy, I will probably reduce the amount next time, but this definetly makes a great side next to some grilled chicken.

Asparagus with Parmesan Butter
Recipe from Bon Appétit, June 1998
Pictures by Caroline

1 pound asparagus ends trimmed
3 tablespoons butter, room temperature
1/2 cup (packed) grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)
1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried
1 large garlic clove, chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

1. Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling salted water until just crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain well.
2. Arrange asparagus on broiler-proof platter. Preheat broiler.
3. Beat butter in medium bowl until fluffy. Beat in cheese, basil, garlic and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
4. Drop butter mixture by teaspoonfuls over asparagus.*
5. Broil asparagus until topping browns, watching closely to avoid burning, about 3 minutes. Serve hot.

*I added the butter after I broiled the asparagus, but I would suggest adding it before broiling it.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

I took your advice and added the topping before placing the asparagus in the broiler. The parmesan browned beautifully, and it was delicious to boot.

I think the topping would go nicely with a number of vegetables. Butter, garlic, and parmesan - how can you go wrong.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...