Monday, April 26, 2010

Curried Squash and Red Lentils

Today, for the first time possibly ever, my sister ate lentils and liked them. When I invited her over for dinner, she asked me what was on the menu...and I refused to tell her. I had this sneaky suspicion that if lentils were mentioned, she would howl in protest. And since I really wanted lentils, I refused to tell her. I made her stay in the living room while I cooked and hid the ingredients when she poked her head in the kitchen.

The smells, as usual, were tantalizing. She guessed that it was something Indian. But not until everything was in the pot and almost ready to be served did she discover the star of this vegetarian dish. Although apprehensive at first, after her first bite, she was hooked. She admitted that she could hardly tell there were lentils involved at all. The warm flavor of the curry combined with the earthy lentils and sweet squash was just too good of a combination to pass up.


Curried Squash and Red Lentils
Recipe loosely adapted from Gourmet 2009
Pictures by Kelly

3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 pound butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 large onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
2 medium celery rib, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons minced peeled ginger*
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 cup red lentils, picked over and rinsed
2 14.5 oz cans vegetable (or chicken) broth (about 3 1/2 cups)

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I did love it-its true, it was quite tasty :) I would eat it over and over again.... :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...