Friday, June 25, 2010

Strawberry-Chocolate Layer Cake

This is one of the most impressive yet simple layer cakes I've made recently. Topped with strawberries and whipping cream, it looks as though you spent all afternoon molding the perfect cake...when in reality it took almost exactly 1 hour (including preparation, baking, cooling, and eating. 

Truth be told, I cheated a little on this one. Not that there's anything wrong with cake mixes, but I generally make my cakes from scratch. I think they taste better, especially the batter, and I'm trying to teach myself how to make the perfect cake without looking at a recipe (I still have a long way to go) so you usually don't find a cake mix in my cupboards. But tonight I was tired and sore and didn't really have the umph left in me to get out my Bosch mixer and more than 4 ingredients. So instead I sent my husband, who was quite delighted to get to eat a box cake, the 4 blocks down the street for a cake mix, and voila. Cake. If you're a purist, try making this with my Grandma's Chocolate Cake.


I like the tussled, disorganized look of the strawberries and whipped cream. It looks fresh and summery, and doesn't require perfection in the "frosting" process, which is a good thing, since I'm not always the tidiest with layer cakes. So feel free to be as artistically messy as you'd like.


Strawberry-Chocolate Layer Cake
Recipe by Kelly
Pictures by Kelly

1 box chocolate cake mix (and accompanying ingredients)
1 1/2 cups (about 12 oz) sweetened condensed milk
2 cups whipping cream
3 tablespoons sugar
2 cups strawberries, chopped
2 cups strawberries, sliced
  1.  Make cake according to directions on box and bake in 2 8-inch round pans. Let cool about 10 minutes and then remove from pans.
  2. Place bottom later on a plate or cake pedestal. Place top layer on plate that is lined with plastic wrap.
  3. With a dinner knife, poke holes all over each cake. Wiggle the knife from side to side to make more space in the cake. Pour sweetened condensed milk over each layer. Spread to cover cake.
  4. Whip cream, gradually adding sugar, until it holds stiff peaks. Spread over first layer. Top with chopped strawberries.
  5. Place second cake on top. Remove plastic wrap. Spread whipped cream over entire cake. Top with strawberries. Serve immediately and then refrigerate.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...