Monday, July 19, 2010

Broccoli Salad

Enter the season of salads. It has been well over 90 for well over two weeks now, and even though my husband finally put our ac in the window, I can't bring myself to cook anything that takes longer than boiling water (I think my husband is hoping to escape forced vegetarianism by cooling our house down to a balmy 78, but he might end up disappointed unless I get a grill in the near future). I did have to briefly turn on the stove today, but it ended up being worth it.
My Auntie K is a pro at broccoli salad. Since she was so good at it, I can't remember my mom ever making it on her own; it was just understood that Auntie would be bringing it to any family gathering hosted during the summer. And believe me, it only lasted a few minutes on the table before my dozens of ravenous cousins snarfed it down. My pickiest sister (who doesn't like anything delicious aside from chocolate) would even occasionally have a bite. 
 
I feel like a bad niece in confessing that being too lazy to dig up my aunt's phone number resulted in this being my very own concoction. But I think I've done a pretty good job replicating the flavor, aside from 1 minor change: I substituted some of the mayo for plain yogurt, but I don't think anyone would be able to tell the difference (I just can't stomach the idea of consuming a whole cup of FAT in one bowl). As far as the salad itself goes, you can pretty much add/omit things as you like. My aunt always added cheddar cheese to her salad, but I did not. I've also had it without almonds or with grapes instead of raisins. Have fun with it!





Broccoli Salad
Recipe by Kelly
Pictures by Kelly

Salad:
4 cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces
1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
2/3 cup raisins or craisins
1/2 cup red onion, chopped 
4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled or cut into pieces (optional)*

Dressing: 
1/2 cup mayo
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons white sugar
  1. Toss the broccoli with the almonds, raisins, onion, and bacon in a large bowl.
  2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together ingredients for dressing. Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and toss it well (add about 2/3 of the dressing to start with, toss, then add the rest if you want your salad more coated with the dressing). Refrigerate or serve immediately.
*Add a pinch of salt if you omit the bacon.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...