recipe slightly adapted from Cooking Light October 2006
Picture by Caroline
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
4 1/2 tablespoons butter, softened
1 large egg
1/3 cup applesauce
1/4 cup molasses
1/3 cup apple juice
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream*
1-2 tablespoons white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray or shortening.
- Combine flour, ginger, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl and stir with a whisk.
- In a large bowl, beat brown sugar and butter until well blended. Add the egg and mix well. Add the applesauce and molasses (batter will look slightly curdled). Add the flour mixture and mix just until blended. Add the apple juice and stir just until combined. Pour into cake pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes; remove from pan and cool completely.
- Meanwhile, beat whipping cream on medium speed in a small bowl until it begins to stiff. Gradually add sugar and continue beating and until soft peaks form. Top cooled cake with whipped cream and serve immediately.
*I suppose you could use cool whip to top this cake. But since real whipped cream is so much better, why would you?