Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Not your Average Baked Potato

Who would have thought I'd post a plain ole' baked potato...

Hmm. Hopefully no one. I'm in to fresh and simple (ok, sometimes not so simple. I just can't help myself sometimes), but definitely not boring. And you'll soon find that these are far from plain and old. 

A few years ago, if you had asked me what "baked potato bar" meant to me, I would have said chili, sour cream, bacon bits from a jar, and possibly some chives on top. Which is good and all, but I often felt a bit...laden down down after such a meal. These baked potatoes, on the other hand, are packed full of vegetables. Naturally, they're just as versatile as any other "baked potato bar," but a bit healthier, and I think, better tasting. I've listed my favorite toppings, but you could add/omit things to your liking.

Not your Average Baked Potato
Recipe by Kelly (if I can really claim something like this)
Pictures by Kelly

4 large baking potatoes, well scrubbed
1 tablespoon olive oil
1-2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1 cup tomatoes, chopped
1 cup avocado, chopped
1/4 cup onion, chopped
1 15 oz can black beans, drained and heated
sour cream, for topping
salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Rub potatoes with oil and salt. Place in oven and bake about 1 hour, or until potato skins are loose and potato is soft when poked with a knife. 
  2. Remove potatoes from oven. Slit lengthwise and smash with a fork. Top with desired vegetables and salt/pepper. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...