Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Baker's German Sweet Chocolate Cake

I love German's Sweet Chocolate Cake. When I was a kid, my mom used to make it and cut off the tops of the round cakes to level them off, and I would always sneak the leftover cake bits. With or without frosting, it was divine. And I realized this week that it had been a long time since I'd had a bit of sweet German-y goodness AND my birthday was rapidly approaching, which meant an occasion for more sweets! But after last year's fiasco involving me making my own birthday cake twice because the first one turned out so dreadfully I had to start over (and the second being barely edible), my sister gallantly volunteered to make my birthday cake. I guess a person shouldn't make their own cake. 

Having never made this cake before, my sis did an admirable job. The cake itself was perfect; the frosting had a slight glitch (your frosting should be a little stickier than shown here), but tasted great. Thanks, sister, for the celebration!

And finally, my disclaimer: this picture is not beautiful; the cake was. My camera (or maybe it's the user) is having issues with the lighting in my house unless it's the middle of the afternoon on a sunny day. I promise not to post such a bad picture in the future, but I just really wanted you to have this recipe. 

Baker's German's Sweet Chocolate Cake
Recipe from Baker's Chocolate
Picture (sadly) by Kelly

Cake:
1 pkg. (4 oz.) Baker's German Sweet Chocolate
1/2 cup  water
4 eggs, separated
2 cups  flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp.  salt
1 cup butter, softened
2 cups  sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup  buttermilk
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Cover bottoms of 3 (9-inch) round pans with waxed paper; spray sides with cooking spray. Microwave chocolate and water in large microwaveable bowl on HIGH 1-1/2 to 2 min. or until chocolate is almost melted, stirring after 1 min. Stir until chocolate is completely melted.
  2. Beat egg whites in small bowl with mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form; set aside. Mix flour, baking soda and salt. Beat butter and sugar in large bowl with mixer until light and fluffy. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each. Blend in melted chocolate and vanilla. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating until well blended after each addition.
  3. Add egg whites; stir gently until well blended. Pour into prepared pans.
  4. Bake 30 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Immediately run small spatula around cakes in pans. Cool cakes in pans 15 min.; remove from pans to wire racks. Cool completely. Spread Coconut-Pecan Filling and Frosting between cake layers and onto top of cake.

Frosting:
4 egg yolks
1 can  (12 oz.) evaporated milk
1-1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter or margarine
1 pkg.  (7 oz.) coconut (about 2-2/3 cups)
1-1/2 cups chopped Pecans
  1. Beat egg yolks, milk and vanilla in large saucepan with wire whisk until well blended. Add sugar and butter; cook on medium heat 12 min. or until thickened and golden brown, stirring constantly. Remove from heat.
  2. Add coconut and pecans; mix well. Cool to room temperature and of desired spreading consistency.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...