Monday, January 31, 2011

Garlic Cheese Biscuits (Red Lobster Biscuits)

There have been times that I've gone to Red Lobster solely for their warm buttery garlic biscuits. After stuffing myself silly, I then realize that I still have a meal coming, which I usually end up taking home in a box. I just can't help myself; they're really that good. And these babies are about as close to the Red Lobster version as I've ever had.
When I made these biscuits last week, they started a string of strange dinners. After one bite, I realized there would be no meal that night. All I wanted was more garlic-cheese deliciousness. Who needs a full-course dinner anyway? Vegetables? Meat? No thank you. I'll take my biscuits with a plate of biscuits on the side, thank you. Dessert? No need. I'll just have another biscuit.

The next night I ate leftover lasagna (from 2 days previous, which for me, is definitely past its prime). The next I ate a pint of blueberries (thanks to an awesome sale at Sunflower Market) and several fresh blueberry muffins. And the next I had a baked potato. And I thought of the biscuits. And I almost made them again. I would have if I hadn't had 5 pages of Russian homework to work on and a huge stack of essays to grade. Luckily I have significantly more time today. In fact, I think I have a bit more cheddar left in the fridge...

Garlic Cheese Biscuits 
Recipe by Kelly
Pictures by Kelly

Makes about 12 biscuits

2 cups flour*
1 tablespoon white sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut into bits
1 cup milk
1 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder

  1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. 
  2. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Cut in cold butter using pastry blender or your fingers, until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Add cheese; then add milk gradually, reserving a few tablespoons. Stir just until dough is moistened. Add remaining tablespoon or two if needed.
  3. Place dough on lightly floured surface Turn a few times to coat dough in flour. Pat 1/2 inch thick. Cut with floured 2-inch round cutter (a round cup will also work). Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 1 inch apart. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until golden brown. 
  4. Meanwhile, combine 1/4 cup melted butter and garlic powder in a small bowl. Brush onto hot biscuits as soon as they are removed from oven. Serve warm.
*For a simpler and faster version, use 2 cups Bisquik and 2/3 cups milk in place of the flour, sugar, powder, salt, and cold butter (from Betty Crocker's Cookbook). They won't be quite as good, but if you're in a hurry, it will do.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...