Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Roasted and Pureed Cauliflower

Maybe you've all been pureeing cauliflower for years, but I until last week, I had never heard of it. Apparently substituting cauliflower for potatoes is quite common these days. Who knew? Now since mashed potatoes are one of God's Divine Foods (especially the ones Lindsey Rich makes), I'm not sure why you'd want to do that...but I could see if maybe you're on a low-carb diet or potatoes make your sugar go wild. Then I could understand.


However, I was pleasantly surprised by this lovely "mashed" cauliflower. It really does resemble mashed potatoes (or possibly baby food of the gourmet variety) except that it tastes like cauliflower, which I think is a good thing. And I loved the addition of roasted cauliflower florets on top of the puree. It added a delightful texture and caramelized taste to something that could have been very boring but wasn't.


Roasted and Pureed Cauliflower
Recipe adapted from www.foodnetwork.com
Pictures by Caroline

Serves 4

1 head cauliflower, core removed, cut into florets
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 cups milk (whole is better, but use whatever)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 tablespoon butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. On a cookie sheet, spread 1/4 of the florets with the oil, season with salt and pepper, and bake until tender, about 25 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, combine remaining cauliflower, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon of salt in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring mixture to a simmer, cover, and cook until cauliflower is tender, about 20 to 25 minutes.
  3. Spoon cauliflower into a blender. Add remaining salt, butter, and 1/4 cup of the milk. Puree mixture until smooth. If mixture is too thick, add some of the remaining milk. 
  4. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Serve topped with roasted cauliflower florets. 

3 comments:

Jessie said...

That looks really good. I have inadvertently made mashed cauliflower, simply by steaming it for too long. The roasted florets atop the dish are a nice touch.

Kristi said...

It was pretty delicious!!!!!!

Brad said...

I have to admit, I thought that this was a pretty strange idea, but after eating it I was convinced. It is delicious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...