Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Cookie Salad

Let's get one thing straight right off the bat: this really isn't a salad. So don't go thinking you can eat piles of it without spoiling your diet. And second of all, it's not just made of cookies, so it's not exactly a dessert. It is, however, so tasty it could melt your socks off.
The first time I had Cookie Salad, I think I may have consumed well over half the bowl. I actually think that nearly every time my friend Lindsey has made it for us, I definitely eat more than my fair share. I just can't help myself. I know you might be skeptical as you scan through the list of ingredients--I realize it seems like a strange combination--but I promise it whips into the loveliest of concoctions.

A few things to remember: 1) make sure the cool whip (which I'm usually not a fan of, but for this recipe it's a must) has thawed in the fridge before making this; 2) Unlike pancake or waffle recipes, you can't cheat on the buttermilk here. You must get the real stuff. I accidentally bought low-fat buttermilk, which worked just fine, AND means I can eat more because it's not as bad for you. 3) do not add the cookies until just before you want to serve it. Unless, of course, you like soggy cookies;

Cookie Salad
Recipe by Dorothy R
Pictures by Kelly

1 small package instant vanilla pudding
1 cup buttermilk
1 carton cool whip, thawed
1 can pineapple chunks, drained
2 cans mandarin oranges, drained
1/2 package striped fudge cookies, broken into bite-sized pieces*

  1. In a large bowl, mix pudding with buttermilk. Fold in cool whip. Stir in pineapple and mandarin oranges. 
  2. Just before serving, add in cookie pieces and stir until combined. 
*Lindsey tells me that if her mother-in-law is really feeling wild, she uses crushed bits of Snicker's bar in place (or maybe in addition to) the cookies. And then you can call it "Candy Salad."

1 comment:

Kristi said...

I think this sounds quite delicious. Please bring me some now, sister :P Oh wait...you left me for DC :(

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...