Friday, August 19, 2011

Raspberry Pie

This weekend is a good weekend because I get to be home. My real home, the place I grew up, where there's always food in the pantry and my momma cooks me dinner. Or dessert. Or almost anything I ask because she loves when I come visit (and so do I, of course!) So this visit I told momma I was craving pie. Berry pie.
Specifically raspberry pie. So that's what momma made. I'm not really sure how she manages to roll out pie crust in the most perfectly round and even shape, pinching the crust into a beautiful rippled edge with such long (and vibrant!) nails. Probably because she's amazing, I'm guessing. I certainly can't do much of anything with nails that reach the end of my finger tips...


Whatever her trick is, this pie was delizioso! It tasted of summer. Slightly tart with just the right amount of sweetness complimented by a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I was so anxious to take a bite that, as evidenced by the picture, I didn't really wait quite long enough for it to cool and the berry juice spilled out, making a lovely syrup for my ice cream. I can't wait til tomorrow morning when I can sneak some for breakfast.


Raspberry Pie
Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook
Pictures by Kelly

1 double pie crust

3/4 cup sugar
3 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
5 cups fresh/frozen unsweetened red raspberries
1 teaspoon sugar, for dusting

  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, stir together the sugar and flour. Add the raspberries and toss gently until coated (if using frozen fruit, let mixture stand 15-30 minutes or until fruit is partially thawed but still icy).
  2. Line a pie pan with pie crust. Pour berry mixture into pastry-lined pie pan. Place small cubes of butter over top of berry mixture.
  3. Top pie with second crust. Trim and crimp edges. Cut several slits in the top to vent the pie. Sprinkle sugar over the top crust. 
  4. Place foil around edges (to prevent over-browning) and bake 25 minutes if using fresh berries and 50 minutes if using frozen. Remove the foil and bake 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. Let stand at least 2 hours before serving.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...