Friday, October 21, 2011

Pumpkin-Apple Muffins

My dear friend and co-chef Kelly was so kind as to search out some delicious recipes for me to try a couple weeks ago. She sent me several options from main courses to treats. Of all of them, this one stuck out to me the most; right away I knew I wanted to try it.
To my delight these muffins turned out just as I had hoped, better really. Much to my pleasure the enjoyment started with mixing the ingredients. No, I didn't have images in my mind of pumpkin fairies sprouting from the can of pumpkin filling (although that would have made for some great pictures), but the smell of the spices mixed together instantly made me feel fallish. It was intoxicating.

But the true joy of these muffins is in eating them. They are good, really good. The combination of pumpkin, apple, raisins and spice is very agreeable, to use a Jane Austen phrase, and if you are a Jane Austen fan, let's just say that Mr. Darcy would surely approve of these. Enjoy!
oh and ps...you will have pumpkin filling left, loads of it, so may I suggest: Buttermilk Glazed Pumpkin Donuts or Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies
Pumpkin-Apple Muffins
Recipe from Bon Appetit
Pictures by Caroline
Yield: 18 muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup all purpose flour
1 tablespoon pumpkin pie spice
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
2 cups sugar
1 cup canned solid pack pumpkin
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs
1 cup chopped peeled cored apples
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Topping ingredients:
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) chilled butter

Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease eighteen 1/2-cup muffin cups or line with muffin papers. 
  2. Sift first 4 ingredients into medium bowl. Stir sugar, pumpkin, oil and eggs in large bowl until well mixed. Mix in dry ingredients, apples, raisins and walnuts. Place equal amounts of batter into prepared cups.
  3. Topping: Combine brown sugar, flour and cinnamon in small bowl. Cut in butter with fingers or pastry blender until mixture is crumbly.
  4. Sprinkle topping over muffins. Bake until muffins are golden brown and tester inserted into centers of muffins comes out clean, about 30 minutes. Cool. Serve muffins warm or at room temperature.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...