Saturday, November 5, 2011

White Bean Chicken Chili

It is cold today. The Wasatch Mountains are covered with a healthy dusting of snow and there are very tiny flakes falling in my yard. The ski resorts are all telling us the days they will be opening and there are already Christmas decorations up in the stores. I don't know that I am ready for all of this, in fact I can say that I AM NOT ready for the winter to come, but apparently my vote didn't count this year (although I don't know that Mother Nature ever actually asked me).


SO, I figure today will be a great day for you to try this White Bean Chicken Chili that I made earlier this week. It is good, and to be honest it is even better as leftovers. I found the recipe in a compilation cookbook my sister gave me several years back and then I tweaked it a little. I liked my results and I hope you will too!



White Bean Chicken Chili 
Recipe and pictures by Caroline

2 chicken breasts, shredded
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 garlic cloves
1-15oz can Butter beans
1-15oz can white beans
1-4oz can green chilies
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon dried oregano
dash red pepper flakes
4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
2 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
Sour Cream garnish

1. Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add chopped onion and saute until translucent and soft. Stir in the garlic, cumin, oregano, and red pepper flakes until spices become fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the green chilies.
2. Add undrained beans and chicken broth; bring to a boil and reduce heat. Add the chicken breasts and cheese until the cheese melts.*
3. Serve hot and garnish with sour cream if desired.

*Another option is to leave the cheese on the side and just add as much as you want.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...