Friday, January 27, 2012

Paula's Loaded Oatmeal Cookies

I happen to love oatmeal cookies, and I happen to love trying different oatmeal cookie recipes. I just think there is something delicious and comforting about oats and cinnamon. And I also happen to think that these are probably close to the most delicious oatmeal cookie I have ever had. And I also happen to be loving Paula Deen recipes these days, which is probably not a great thing, because as you know, her recipes are not known for their health benefits. Rather they are known for being rich, decedent, and of course buttery. This recipe is no exception, and in fact beyond being full of spices provides a buttery icing to put on top.


I tried a few different options while making these cookies. I tried a batch without walnuts as my husband isn't a fan (he thinks they have a rotten taste). I tried a batch with walnuts, because I enjoy having nuts in my cookies, however, if I am totally honest, I think I preferred the ones without the walnuts.
And I tried icing some of the cookies and leaving some without any icing, because the reviews of this cookie said that the icing was too much. My opinion: they don't NEED the icing, but man alive are they extra good with the buttery icing on top. So I would just go ahead and have it.
And finally I would just like to add that I couldn't stop eating these while they were on my counter. So if you are going to make them, might I suggest giving some away. Or perhaps freezing a few. Because they truly are so good that, if you are like me, will continue to snack on them while cooking dinner and and ruin your appetite.


Paula's Loaded Oatmeal Cookies
Recipe by Paula Deen
Pictures by Caroline

Ingredients
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
2 1/2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
1 cup raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
Brown Butter Icing, recipe follows
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Grease 1 or more cookie sheets. Using an electric mixer, cream together butter, shortening, and sugar in a bowl until fluffy. Add eggs and beat until mixture is light in color. Add buttermilk. Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, baking powder, ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and allspice; stir into creamed mixture. 
  3. Fold in oatmeal, raisins, walnuts, and vanilla, blending well. 
  4. Drop by rounded teaspoons onto cookie sheet. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. 
  5. Drizzle with Brown Butter Icing.
Brown Butter Icing:

1/2 cup butter
3 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 to 4 tablespoons water
  1. In a small saucepan heat the butter over medium heat until golden brown, stirring occasionally. Remove saucepan from heat; stir in 3 cups sifted powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Stir in enough water (3 to 4 tablespoons) to make an icing of drizzling consistency. 
  2. Drizzle on warm cookies.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...