Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Avocado-Banana Smoothie

Think of this as the other green smoothie. The one without leafy greens that still makes a lovely addition to breakfast. Or lunch. Or maybe even dessert. 

The last time I made avocado-banana smoothies on a regular basis was when I lived in Guatemala. I didn't have a refrigerator or ice, and the milk was so pasteurized that it came in a box with an expiration date til then end of time, but the avocados and bananas were picked fresh (and naturally ripened) so none of that seemed to matter. They were always slightly warm (remember- no fridge), but still delicious. When I returned to the US, I continued making them, but they just weren't the same. My taste-memory protested every time I used inferior produce, so I gave it a rest for a while. 
But it's been long enough now. I can't remember the perfect bananas, but I do remember that I really like drinking avocado. It's smooth and creamy and fills you up with the fatty goodness (the good fat) of the avocado. Plus it's green, and green is my favorite color. Who doesn't like green?


Avocado-Banana Smoothie
Recipe adapted from Everyday Food Jan/Feb 2012
Pictures by Kelly

1 ripe avocado
1 banana
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1 1/2 cups orange juice or milk
2 tablespoons honey (or sugar, if you prefer)
2 1/2 cups ice

  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Serve immediately.

1 comment:

M said...

I drank these all the time in Brazil. J thinks its strange to use avocado as a "sweet" fruit (instead of a savory one), but I don't have a problem with it. I'm going to have to try using Greek yogurt in the smoothie, like you suggested. That sounds good!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...