Thursday, September 3, 2009

Potato Salad

I can't believe that summer is almost over and I'm just barely posting a potato salad. What was I thinking? Who makes potato salad in the fall? No one! I guess those of you in a more southern climate may have a few more weeks of bbqs and picnics. The rest of us will have to settle for Labor day.

Anyway. Growing up, my best friend's mom used to make this salad for every "family" (meaning their family plus me or one or two of my siblings) picnic event. She has told me her recipe dozens of times, but I can never seem to make it quite as good as she does. This recipe is a mustard and pickle-free version, which may seem un-American because it is; the author was born and raised in Norway!


Potato Salad
Recipe by Ingunn Andresen
Picture by Kelly

6 medium red potatoes, boiled, peeled, and chopped into large chunks
3 stalks celery, chopped
8 oz Canadian bacon, chopped
1/2 small onion, chopped
3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
1/2 cup mayonnaise*
salt and pepper, to taste**
  1. In a large bowl, mix potatoes, celery, bacon, onion, eggs, mayonnaise and salt and pepper.
  2. Chill and serve.
*Reduce mayo if you like a drier salad; Add mayo if you like it wetter.
**Make sure you taste before you salt! The Canadian bacon adds quite a bit of salt, so be careful before adding more.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...