Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
Recipe from Tosca Reno, Oxygen Magazine
Pictures by Caroline
Yields 12-16 muffins
3 cups unbleached spelt flour*
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup coconut oil*
½ cup natural honey
2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbsp water (this is an egg substitute)
1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1 ½ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt (or you can strain the juice of regular plain yogurt through a cheesecloth)
1 ½ cup fresh blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In medium mixing bowl, whisk together first four dry ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl blend together oil and honey. Add egg replacer, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mix thoroughly. Stir in yogurt, mix well. Fold in blueberries.
5. Fill muffin cups with mixture (fill to top or just over the top of the muffin cups). Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.
*I made substitutions for these ingredients: white flour and olive oil – although I would suggest using coconut oil if possible, the flavor would be great.