Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Blueberry Yogurt Muffins

I love blueberries. I think they are delicious. I love them fresh, in oatmeal, in fruit salads, in crisps, on ice cream, in fruit smoothies, and of course, in muffins. But here is the thing about muffins, I often think they are too oily, especially store bought muffins. So imagine my happiness when I found this recipe from Tosca Reno, the Eat-Clean Diet lady. While I didn't follow every ingredient in the recipe, I did substitute the egg with a flax seed/water mixture (the picture above left is ground flax seed, which I regularly add to my oatmeal, yogurt, etc) and use Greek yogurt - which is yummy. These muffins weren't as sweet as I maybe would have liked them, but I think using coconut oil instead of olive oil (which is what I used) would add a great flavor. I might also add about 1/4 cup of sugar if I wanted them to be a bit sweeter, but I don't know if I defiantly would, because as you can see from the picture above, the dough is thick, and closer to a biscuit dough than your average muffin batter. So whether or not to make them sweeter would be a personal choice. Either way, I enjoyed these fresh out of the oven with a bit of melted butter and I really appreciated that they were not oily like many muffins I have tried in my life.


Blueberry Yogurt Muffins
Recipe from Tosca Reno, Oxygen Magazine
Pictures by Caroline
Yields 12-16 muffins

Ingredients
3 cups unbleached spelt flour*
1 tbsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp sea salt
½ cup coconut oil*
½ cup natural honey
2 tbsp ground flax seed mixed with 6 tbsp water (this is an egg substitute)
1 tsp freshly grated lemon peel
Juice of 1 fresh lemon
1 ½ cup plain low-fat Greek yogurt (or you can strain the juice of regular plain yogurt through a cheesecloth)
1 ½ cup fresh blueberries

Directions
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In medium mixing bowl, whisk together first four dry ingredients. Set aside.
3. In a large mixing bowl blend together oil and honey. Add egg replacer, lemon peel, and lemon juice. Mix well.
4. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, mix thoroughly. Stir in yogurt, mix well. Fold in blueberries.
5. Fill muffin cups with mixture (fill to top or just over the top of the muffin cups). Bake until golden brown, about 25-30 minutes. Serve warm.

*I made substitutions for these ingredients: white flour and olive oil – although I would suggest using coconut oil if possible, the flavor would be great.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...