Saturday, April 17, 2010

Spring Veggies with Mustard Sauce

Asparagus is in abundance right now. It is easy to find, inexpensive, delicious, and nutritious. While I enjoy it steamed with some salt and pepper, it can get a little boring. So I came up with this simple recipe. It will make a great side to just about any chicken or fish dish, in fact I paired it along side our Broiled Tilapia Parmesan and it worked really well. And while I just used asparagus, onion, and mushrooms, I think that zuchinni and perhpas some green peppers would also add a great flavor to this mix.

Spring Veggies with Mustard Sauce
Recipe and Pictures by Caroline
makes 2 servings

4 large white mushrooms, diced into 1/2-inch pieces
5-8 spears of asparagus, but into 2-inch pieces
1/4 large yellow onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 tbsp spicy mustard
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
2 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp thyme
dash of salt/pepper

Directions
1. Preheat broiler. Line a glass baking dish with aluminum foil and grease with a nonstick spray.
2. In a medium sized mixing bowl, mix together mustard, vinegar, olive oil, thyme, salt, and pepper. Add cut vegetables to bowl and stir around to coat vegetables in mustard sauce.
3. Place vegetables in prepared baking dish in a single layer. Broil for approximately 6-8 minutes, or until vegetables are tender; flip vegetables over once during broil time. Watch closely, you don't want to burn your vegetables. Serve.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

This was a delicious side to the big, fat, juicy hamburgers I made the other night. I bought asparagus in abundance about 10 days ago, so I have looking for ways to use it. Thanks for all the recipes.

I love mushrooms, but rarely purchase fresh ones, as I am the only one in the house that will eat them. I chopped 3 large mushrooms for this recipe and enjoyed every last bite of them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...