Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cream Cheese Brownies

With the exception of my friend Zillah's grandma's brownies, I usually don't love homemade brownies. I actually kind of hate them. Give me a Betty Crocker box mix over most recipes any day. If you read  this blog with any regularity, you know that I'm not one to prefer industrialized food over fresh. Like I said- I'm not big on brownies from scratch.
But these brownies were different. They were homemade and actually good-tasting. I think it must have been the cream cheese....cheese does make everything taste better. And it's great fun to swirl the cream cheese mixture around the batter. And unlike box brownies, I didn't need to eat 2 whole rows to feel my sugar craving dissipate. So I think the next time I have a craving for something chocolaty, I'm going for cream cheese brownies. Like maybe tonight. ;)


Cream Cheese Brownies
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker's Cookbook
Pictures by Caroline

Brownie:
1/2 cup butter
2 oz unsweetened baking chocolate
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 large eggs
3/4 cup flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup nuts, chopped (optional)

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease bottom and sides of 8 x 8 inch pan. 
  2. In a small bowl, melt butter and chocolate in the microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring after each time. OR melt in a saucepan over low heat, stirring frequently. Cool 5 minutes. Meanwhile, make cream cheese mixture.
  3. Beat chocolate mixture, sugar, vanilla, and eggs in a large bowl. Beat in flour and salt. Stir in nuts (optional). Pour the 3/4 of the batter into the pan. 
  4. Pour the cream cheese mixture over the batter. With a knife, swirl the cream cheese around the pan. Pour the remaining brownie batter and make a few more swirls in the pan. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Cream Cheese:
1 8oz package cream cheese, very soft
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
  1. In a medium sized bowl, beat all ingredients until smooth. Set aside.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...