Friday, October 1, 2010

Saffron Orzo with Shrimp

The other day I was home early from work, in the mood to cook, but not wanting anything heavy or difficult to make. And seeing the shrimp on this blog last week made me crave them even more (sadly, Caroline made her shrimp without me). So I hopped on my scooter, zipped down to the store, and promptly became quite irate when there was no shrimp to be found. I know the grocery store by my house is bad, but really? No shrimp?!

Luckily my level -headed husband was with me and found some hidden away in the back before I attacked the next employee. Home we went, shrimp in hand. Within 30 minutes, I had saffron and lemon wafting through the house. Dinner was quickly consumed with little conversation, and I had to sneak a two small portions into a tupperware so we wouldn't eat it all at once. The next day our lunch was of a significantly higher caliber than usual.

So yes, we have another shrimp dish for you. I figured since you probably have some shrimp left that you didn't cook from the Cilantro Lime Shrimp appetizers, you might as well put them to good use in this light pasta dish. And finally, a word (or rather another word) on saffron: If you recall from this or this post, saffron is expensive. But the lovely yellow color, the exotic smell, the unique flavor...so many reasons to buy saffron anyway. And in case you're interested, here is a very interesting blog post about the history of saffron.


Saffron Orzo with Shrimp
Recipe from Everyday Pasta
Picture by Kelly

4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth*
1 teaspoon saffron
1 pound orzo pasta
7 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
juice of 1 lemon
3 teaspoons salt (or to taste!)
2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 pound large shrimp, peeled and deveined
  1. In a large pot, bring the chicken broth to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to low, bringing the broth to a simmer. Add the saffron, stir, and simmer until the saffron has "bloomed," about 5 minutes (I waited until it started to smell very strong- I think it means that the saffron has absorbed some of the water). 
  2. Return the heat to medium and bring the stock to a oil, then add the orzo and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, about 8-9 minutes.
  3. Drain the orzo and transfer to a large bowl. Add 4 tablespoons oil, parsley, half the lemon juice, 2 teaspoons salt (or to taste!) and 1 teaspoon pepper and stir thoroughly.
  4. In a bowl, toss the shrimp with 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and the remaining lemon juice. Heat the remaining 3 tablespoons oil in a medium skillet over medium high heat. Add the shrimp in a single layer and cook until the shrimp are just turning pink, about 2 minutes per side. 
  5. Add the shrimp with the orzo. Toss to combine and serve (hot or room temperature).
*If you don't have any reduced sodium broth, definitely reduce the salt! I would add it to taste.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...