Thursday, January 6, 2011

Scalloped Potatoes

During the 6 months I lived with my grandfather, I think I consumed more potatoes than I had the entirety of my life. Something in his very fiber demanded both meat and potatoes every night, and he didn't even expect anyone else to cook them for him. Gramps was is (he's still alive and cookin' I mean kickin') a great chef of the hearty American cuisine our grandparents grew up on. But on the rare occasion that I was allowed to set foot in the kitchen, I always caused a stir with "wild" dishes like manicotti, tacos, or, wait for it, rice. Something vegetarian usually left Gramps lurking around the kitchen all day asking me if I was sure I didn't want any meat to go with that dish, followed by a surprised "That was pretty good, for no meat!" after dinner.
But although potatoes were always part of dinner, they were usually in mashed form. Not wanting to disturb 70 years of potato preference, I didn't think it would be appropriate to introduce this or this or this or this radical way of serving potatoes. I should have made him scalloped potatoes, however. Considering his love of both garlic and potato, I'm sure these would have been a hit.

Aside from the slicing, scalloped potatoes are really quite simple (I do sometimes wish I had one of those fancy vegetable slicers). You don't need any weird ingredients, and they only take about 25 minutes to bake. And they're very, very good. Especially the browned ones on the top...I may have been known to snitch the top layer when no one was looking...
Scalloped Potatoes
Recipe by Kelly
Pictures by Kelly

8 cups potato, peeled and sliced 1/8 inch thick
1 1/2 cups milk
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
2 tablespoons butter
  1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Generously grease a 9 x 13 inch pan with butter; then rub with garlic. 
  2. Layer potatoes in pan (about 2 layers deep) and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and small chunks of butter. Repeat process. Pour milk over the top (it should fill about 3/4 of the pan). Bake 20-25 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...