Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Cranberry Bean Chowder

Absence makes the heart grow stronger they say, and I believe this is true. Again, I apologize for the long space between posts, what slackers we are. However, in my defense I did give birth to a child one week and one day earlier than she was due. Kelly is traveling, lucky ducky. And I was left in charge of the blog, and look how I have handled it. I even have several recipes to post, but somehow, a nap has just looked better the last several days than writing and editing photographs. So again to save the day for me is Jessie, so without further ado, I give you Cranberry Bean Chowder (with an apology for a lack of finished product picture; but here is a beautiful picture of some cranberry beans).


"As I shopped the dry goods isle at my local grocery store, my eye was caught by the beauty of the cranberry bean. I’d never heard of cranberry beans, nor had I tasted them. I bought them on looks alone. I did not have a particular recipe in mind when I bought them, so I experimented with the recipe on the back of the bag. It was delicious, another example that pork and beans are simply a good combination."


"Cranberry beans are white or cream in color with cranberry red marks enlivening their appearance. Unfortunately, the beans do not retain these marks in cooking. If you are unable to find cranberry beans, pinto beans would be a good substitute."

Cranberry Bean Chowder
Recipe adapted from Richfood cranberry bean package
Photo by Jessie

½ pound cranberry beans, cooked according to package directions
½ pound cubed ham
Bacon drippings
2 cups chopped onions
½ cup diced peppers
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
4 cups chicken broth
2 14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes
1 cup corn kernels
1 cup cream or half and half

  1. Drizzle bacon drippings into large stock pot and sauté ham over medium heat. Add onions, peppers, garlic, and thyme. Sauté until onions are softened.
  2. Stir in beans, chicken broth, tomatoes, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes.
  3. Stir in corn and cream or half and half; continue simmering 5 minutes. Remove bay leaf and serve hot.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...