Saturday, August 13, 2011

Southwestern Avocado and Black Bean Salad

The other night I was craving a fresh salad, something summery, but not the typical vegetable or strawberry with poppy seed dressing type salad. We were also having some tamales that night, so I wanted something that would go alongside that as well. 


Luckily I had just the thing as I had gone to the library a few days earlier (more about that in the next paragraph)- a lovely salad with a slight southwestern flair.


Now, if you know me, you know that I love going to the library. It is like buying as many books as you want, but for free! You get to browse, pick things out, and take them home without any buyers remorse; it is fantastic. So naturally I always come home with 1 or 2 cookbooks, sometimes more. I will browse through them, see what looks good and then try a few recipes. So I was pleased to find this salad that combines many of my favorite ingredients into a summery salad and it did go perfectly with our tamales that night.



Southwestern Avocado and Black Bean Salad
Recipe from Paula Deen
Pictures by Caroline
Makes 4 servings

1/2 cup chopped cilantro
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
2 or 3 dashes hot sauce
4 cups chopped romaine lettuce
2 avocados, pitted, peeled, and diced
2 cups fresh or frozen corn kernels
2-15 ounce cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup chopped cherry tomatoes
about 3/4 cup grated pepper Jack cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
1. In a small bowl, whisk together the cilantro, oil, lime juice, and hot sauce.
2. In a large bowl, combine the lettuce, avocados, corn, beans, tomatoes, and cheese. Add the dressing and toss well. Season with salt and pepper and serve.

2 comments:

two little chefs said...

I made something like this just the other day (great minds think alike, eh?), but without the tasty sounding dressing. I'll have to try it soon!

-Kelly

Derek and Emily said...

My family loved this salad! I added ranch to the dressing instead of the oil and it was delicious!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...