Monday, February 27, 2012

Pasta with Pea Sauce

This dish makes me think of spring. And of my college days. Peas, pasta, and cheese? I lived off peanut butter slathered toast and peas + pasta a significant part of my college days. I think I would have starved without them...but somehow I never thought of pureeing the peas. Instead I loaded on the cheddar cheese and chased my peas around my plate.  (M, think of how much more sophisticated we would have seemed if this had been our staple meal!)

Needless to say, this is a definite improvement from my college meal. And in even better news, the husband (who generally scorns peas) declared that he greatly preferred peas in this saucy form, which means I can reintroduce one of my favorite vegetables to my weekday repertoire. Huzzah for that! And it's a delightful vibrant green color that will remind you that life is returning to the world...in a few short weeks.

Pasta with Pea Sauce
Recipe adapted from Kitchen Express by Mark Bitman
Pictures by Kelly

1 16 oz box pasta (bow ties, cellentani, gemelli, etc)
1 bag frozen peas (1 pound)
1/4 cup onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
4-6 slices bacon, cooked until crisp and crumbled* (optional)
salt and pepper, to taste

  1. Bring a large pot of well-salted water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain, reserving at least 1 cup of pasta water.
  2. Meanwhile, cook the peas in salted water just until tender. Drain peas. Puree about 2/3 of the peas with the onion, garlic, and some of the pasta water. Continue adding water until you reach a good consistency (I used about 2/3 of a cup of water).
  3. Toss the pasta with the pea sauce. Add plenty of freshly ground pepper and salt to taste. Sprinkle with bacon bits and Parmesan cheese. 
*Try prosciutto in place of bacon. Slice it into matchsticks and cook for about two minutes in frying pan until slightly colored.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Grant just saw the picture of this and said "num". Haha. I guess that is what is for dinner.

two little chefs said...

And that is ony of the many reasons why I love your child!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...