Friday, March 2, 2012

Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Raisins

I don't know if it's because I'm living near the south or if brussels sprouts are making a comeback, but I find them everywhere. I see them in bags in the frozen food section, looking like some kind of alien creature on the stalk, or rolling about precariously in the bulk veggie section (I may or may not always drop at least 3 when I'm trying to scoop them up). So with all these baby cabbages hanging around, aren't you surprised that we haven't posted a single recipe yet? I was. Quite, actually.

This just might be the best way you've ever eaten brussels sprouts. Ever. And if you think you don't like sprouts, just wait until you try this. First of all, it has bacon. How can you go wrong with bacon? It makes everything better. I think that's one of the laws of nature (apologies to any hardcore vegetarians out there, but there's just no substitute for bacon, and I'm not even serious carnivore...more a semi-vegetarian). And then it adds a sweet little kick with a sprinkling of raisins (you can use golden or purple) and apple cider vinegar. I'd be willing to bet some serious money--or maybe just a dinner on me--that even your kids will eat these. But you must promise to call them "baby cabbage." Because mini things are always more fun to eat.


Brussels Sprouts with Bacon and Raisins
Recipe from Bon Appetit March 2012
Pictures by Kelly

1 teaspoon olive oil
3-4 slices bacon
4 cups brussels sprouts (about 1 lb), trimmed and halved
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/2 small onion
1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste
  1. Heat oil in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook, turning occasionally, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Let cool. Coarsely crumble. 
  2. While bacon cools, add brussels sprouts to drippings in skillet; season with salt and pepper. Cook on medium-high heat, stirring often, until well browned in spots and beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add onion and cook about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add raisins and cook about 3 minutes. 
  3. Add broth to skillet, increase heat and bring to a boil, scraping up browned bits from bottom of pan. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until broth has evaporated, 1-2 minutes. Stir in vinegar and crumbled bacon. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

2 comments:

Jessie said...

Thanks for the recipe. Just last weekend, I had Brussels sprouts and bacon at a Las Vegas buffet. They were delicious. I am anxious to cook some up at home.

Lindsey said...

I love brussels sprouts with bacon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...