Mushroom Zucchini Quinoa Cakes
Recipe and photo by Kelly
Makes about 8 3-inch cakes
1/2 cup quinoa, well rinsed + 1 cup water, well salted
8 baby bella mushrooms, minced
2 small zucchini, finely shredded
1/2 onion, finely chopped
1 large garlic clove, minced
1/3 cup bread crumbs (preferably Panko)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Bring salted water to a boil and add quinoa. Bring to a simmer and cook about 20 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Set aside and let cool.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Add onions and saute until beginning to brown. Add garlic and saute 1 minute.
- Meanwhile, squeeze the excess liquid of the shredded zucchini with a paper towel. Add zucchini and mushrooms to onion and garlic and cook just until tender. Remove from heat.
- In a large bowl, combine egg, bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, and parsley. Stir in quinoa and zucchini mixture until evenly incorporated. Optional: Chill mixture 30-45 minutes for ease of handling.
- Heat 1-2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Gently drop 2-3 inch balls of quinoa mixture into the skillet and flatten into a patty between 1/4-1/2 inch thick. Cook 2-3 minutes or until the underside is lightly browned and gently flip. Cook another 2-3 minutes and place cakes on a plate lined with a paper towel. Serve warm.