Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Sweet and Sour Meatballs

One of my very favorite things to make. Nothing fancy, but I always love these meatballs. I serve them over rice with a green salad or other vegetable, or as the case was here, a Tomato Cucumber Salad. I also always make a full 9x13 pan, which this recipe is good for and makes about 24 golf ball sized meatballs or 40 ping pong ball sized meatballs. That way I have left overs. No, I don't eat them the next day (usually) instead I put them in a big freezer bag and have them ready for a night I don't want to cook, but want something really good.

The other beautiful thing about freezing them, is that they make a great freezer meal to take to a friend or neighbor who has a need, you know: new baby, recent surgery, home from a long vacation, etc. And truth be told, every time I have given these to somebody, they call me and tell me they loved them - this really is no lie.
The original recipe comes from a cookbook that my sister gave me. The recipes come from members of her church back in Arlington, Virginia. I have modified the recipe a bit (what can I say, I'm always looking for ways to sneak in more veggies into any recipe), and no I have not tried ALL the recipes in the book, but this is hands down the favorite one I've used. Enjoy!

Sweet and Sour Meatballs
Recipe adapted by Caroline from Cucumber Sandwiches and Other Fine Foods
Pictures by Caroline
makes 24 meatballs

Meatballs
1 pound lean ground beef
3/4 cup rolled oats
1 egg, slightly beaten
1/2 cup diced onion
3/4 cup milk
2 medium carrot, shredded
1/2 cup plain bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon Worcestershire

Sauce
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup vinegar
2 teaspoons brown mustard
1/2 cup BBQ sauce
2 teaspoon Worcestershire

  1. In a large bowl mix together beef, oats, egg, onion, milk, carrot, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and Worcestershire. 
  2. Form meat mixture into golf ball sized balls and place in a greased 9x13 glass baking dish. 
  3. Mix the brown sugar, vinegar, brown mustard, BBQ sauce, and Worcestershire in a small bowl. Pour over the top of the meatballs. 
  4. Cover pan with foil and cook at 350 degrees fro 45 minutes. Serve with rice.
*These freeze really well! After meatballs have been cooked, let them cool completely. Put cooled meatballs and sauce in a large freezer bag. To reheat, put frozen meatballs in a glass baking dish at bake for 30-40 minutes at 350 degrees or until meatballs are heated through.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...